R.I.P Chris Cornell, You Will Be Sorely Missed

I awoke this morning to the devastating news that Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden committed suicide. Chris has played a role in my life since the early nineties. There are no words to describe really what I'm feeling at the moment. It's all too surreal. 

Depression doesn't care who you are, how much you have in the bank, how much those around you love you. Depression is the worst thing imaginable. Depression is knowing rationally that others love and care about you, but not being able to feel their love yourself. It is a disconnect between what you know to be true and what you feel to be true. It steals your ability to appreciate things and to feel grateful. It lies to you. 

We can try to explain away depression a thousand ways but all of that would be bullshit. At the end of the day, there are no reasons to be depressed. It's just depression, it is what it is and people who have never dealt with it cannot understand. It's not just feeling sad. In it's deepest form depression makes you just not want to be on this earth anymore. You suffer emotionally to such a degree that nothing can pull you out of it. 

A lot of people can be medicated and that helps, but there are still people who cannot be. There are people like myself who react poorly to the medications that are currently on the market. 

Suicide is not a selfish act, it is a final act to end the suffering they feel. I hate to say that I can sympathize and I understand. I've attempted suicide on several occasions. At least one of which I know cannot be written off as a cry for help. 

There are social causes for depression and that's why personally I don't think it's entirely a brain chemistry thing. When you watch people being so horrible to each other on a daily basis, some of us simply cannot deal with that. I don't know if that's what Chris saw, but I know he suffered greatly. He will be missed, but at least he's not suffering anymore. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unpacking My Bags A Bit More

It Hurts.

Listen To Your Tranpa!