In A Perfect World

In a perfect world, I could function properly. I wouldn't have everyone around me telling me that I'm not a man, and I wouldn't have those echoes in my brain. In a perfect world, people would just accept me for who I tell them I am. 

In a perfect world, people would trust each other, especially when it came to matters of their own identities. In a perfect world, we wouldn't mock each other for being who we truly are. In a perfect world, we could celebrate these things. 

In a perfect world, social pressures wouldn't drive me to suicidal thoughts. In a perfect world, we would realize that everyone has their own path and people are more like cats than cattle. In a perfect world, we would see more hugging on the news than people being blown up. 

In a perfect world, kids with Williams Syndrome wouldn't have to be taught to be wary of strangers. We wouldn't have to teach the life lesson of mistrusting others. In a perfect world, you wouldn't need money to live. In a perfect world, mental illness would be seen as any other physical illness because the brain is a part of the body. In a perfect world, some mental "illnesses" would just be a legitimate difference rather than something to be cured so the person can be like everyone else. 

In a perfect world, we wouldn't attempt to homogenize people. In a perfect world, there would be no countries to form an allegiance with. In a perfect world, patriotism wouldn't exist. In a perfect world, we would take care of the world. In a perfect world, we wouldn't add to the suffering of others. 

In a perfect world, people would cease to pray and start acting on helping loved ones. In a perfect world, there would be no religion, only spirituality. In a perfect world, we could be free to do as we please provided it doesn't harm someone else. In a perfect world, there would be no government, only people helping each other to live the best life possible. In a perfect world, not my problem, becomes how can I help? 

Surely this is not the best of all possible worlds. It is far from it and I feel like I've been born into a dystopia. I don't need books like 1984, or Fahrenheit 911. I live it day to day, because I can see what we could be, and I can see how far we are from that. I can't see the path and even if I could I know I couldn't show it to others. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. I can't make people think. I can't force anyone to see the beauty of the possibilities. 

So many people walking trapped in cages of fear. I'm in a cage of fear. But I can see tomorrow, and it's beautiful. I guess, I'll just have to wait. I've already seen, I  cannot affect much. I can barely keep my own head above water. Maybe someday, I'll be able to do more than just tread water. Maybe someday, I can soar like an eagle. Until then, please don't push my head under while I'm treading. If you can't help me stay afloat, then please at the least, don't shove me under. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unpacking My Bags A Bit More

It Hurts.

Listen To Your Tranpa!