I'm Not Playing This Game Anymore!

For the past what feels like forever we've had a political divide in this country of epic proportions. I'm tired of it. Really tired. We've got the left who believes they're fighting for peace. We've all heard the saying though that fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity. It is absolutely that counter-productive. We've got the right thinking they're fighting for their freedoms that the left are trying to take away. 

We aren't talking to each other. I feel like a child in a broken home when it comes to this country. I'm not proud of either side. I'm not proud of how we've been behaving, myself included. So I'm going to start doing my best to quit behaving in ways that I've learned are detrimental to a cohesive populace. 


"United we stand, divided we fall" 


Remember.


Together we are strong. Our government officials, along with the talking heads on either side of the aisle, are responsible for creating this divide. We have to forget about them. We have to look each other in the eyes and start talking. Start listening. Really Listening. Start asking questions and figure out where the communication breakdown is occurring. 


Yes, we're going to get frustrated. Yes, it's going to be difficult. Changing habits is a hard thing to do. We are all guilty of creating this problem and we're all guilty of letting it continue. We are all responsible for correcting the problem. We must stop looking to the people in government to do anything. We must remember: the power is ours. We've forgotten this extremely important fact. 


I've got conservative friends and I've got liberal friends, and I think of myself as more of a moderate. So I kind of get flak from both sides. Both sides think I'm not committed. They're wrong, though. I'm extremely committed. I'm committed to not playing this game that everyone else seems to want to play. It's not a game. It's not fun. I don't want to hate anyone and you're in denial if you think by being extreme to either side that you're not hating. Both sides hate on each other equally and I'm not doing this anymore. 


Yeah, it'll take time. Habits become compulsions and you say things without thinking. Fuck, you'll even type them out and hit enter without thinking about it. Stop. That's all it takes. Just stop. Think. Is this the compassionate thing to say? Do they really have a point or am I unwilling to consider that I might be wrong about something? Do I have all the facts? 


I believe we can have a better life, but we are responsible for it. Not the government. It doesn't matter what happens in Washington if we cannot sit down and have a glass of tea on the porch with our neighbors. It doesn't matter what bills get passed if we cannot love each other. 


People fail to realize what George Carlin said is absolutely true. They're not rights, they're temporary privileges as far as governments are concerned. If they can be taken away, they're not rights. If someone else has to give them to you it's not inherent. We need to stop using these words like they have no meaning. Words absolutely have meaning and we're not going to have a different set of definitions for everyone. The dictionary is your friend, use it. It will give us a common ground so communication doesn't break down. This is where asking questions comes in. 


Develop a curiosity about other people. If you're curious it makes it harder to think that you know everything about someone. 


I don't know how this all happened. I have hope that we can fix this, though. If we will quit acting like children and looking for mommy and daddy to fix this for us. Daddy government or Daddy in heaven can't fix this for you. Stop praying for things to get better and start doing the work. 


Who knows, maybe you'll find out that it can be fun to be curious about others and to listen to them. Quit dismissing each other and wake up. We're all human, we all want respect, and we all want love. Anyone who says otherwise is just jaded and really in need of some compassion. 


I hope for the best for all of us. I hope that everyone who is seeing themselves as a victim will learn that they're not. I hope that we will all find our strength. This bickering, it's not strong. It might feel strong to scream and yell at each other online, but it's not. It's petty and weak and childish. I know we can do better. 


So please do better. 


For yourself, your family, your friends, your community, for everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unpacking My Bags A Bit More

It Hurts.

Listen To Your Tranpa!