Assume.... Ass U Me

Have you ever heard the saying, "Assume and make an ass out of you and me." I hadn't heard it until an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It totally makes sense though. When we assume something about someone based on a group they find themselves to be a part of it makes us an ass, and it makes an ass out of them because they have to put you in your place if they're not going to play doormat. 

The biggest way to get on my bad side is to assume that just because I'm transgender that I should be offended or afraid of something. I hate when people project their fears and assumptions onto me based on something that I see to be a minor part of my identity. Not only is it minor, but it's in my past so I don't really think much about it. 

Being trans has its own load of shit and that load of shit really depends on the individual. If you've met one trans person, you've met one trans person. Don't think that any one trans person speaks for all trans people. I speak from my own experience and that's all there is to it. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I do expect people to respect me. 

I don't find it particularly respectful for someone to attempt to get me to feel angry or fearful over something that they think that I should feel fearful over. If I'm living without that fear why the fuck would anyone in their right mind wish to instill that fear into me? It doesn't make sense. Of course, I think the people who are doing this have an agenda of their own, and because I don't just bow to everyone's view and play the victim and assimilate to their world view, they have to try to get me to. 

It speaks to their insecurities, if I don't see it that way then maybe they have to think about they may be wrong about their viewpoint. Which leads me to the next thing that kind of grinds my gears, people being pissed off or trying to be offended for a group of people of which they are not a part. Listen to the people who find themselves to be a part of said group, pull your head out of your own ass and think for a moment before you start spewing the shit you read in a book or online. Life experience speaks for something, something more than statistics and books cannot touch. 

I seek to learn from others, but when they attempt to put me on edge or demean me in any way, the only thing I learn from them is that I don't like them. They're not a good person, they're not someone I want to learn from. So I stop listening. The best way to get others to listen is to be a listener yourself and to seek to understand the individual. Fuck your groups, no really, fuck them. A label is just a label, I don't identify with mine enough to let it ruffle my feathers, so quit getting your feathers ruffled for me. It just makes you look stupid. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unpacking My Bags A Bit More

It Hurts.

Listen To Your Tranpa!